Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Ramblings on What We Share: Unity

I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought. My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas”; still another, “I follow Christ.” Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, so no one can say that you were baptized in my name. (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. I Corinthians 1:10-17

Schisms have plagued the church since the first century. In some ways it is a comfort to know that even the Apostle Paul’s ministry struggled with it, but yet distressing that we have failed so miserably to foster the unity that Jesus prayed for.

Divisions happen when we get our minds off of God and onto men. We cling to the one who brought us to Chris rather than to the One they brought us to. We cherish the person who baptized us rather than the One in whose name we were baptized. We forsake the fellowship of our dear brothers and sisters because they interpret Scripture differently and eventually convince ourselves that they are not saved at all. Who are we to decide, amongst those for whom Jesus died, which ones He is allowed to save?

No comments:

Post a Comment