Saturday, December 13, 2014

Great Through Grace


For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. Whether, then, it is I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed.

I Corinthians 15:9-11

 

It is widely believed that no one person has more greatly influenced Christian history than the Apostle Paul, save for Christ himself. Yet the course of history is littered with great men and women who have accomplished great things.

 

From Thomas, who is beloved as the apostle who brought Christianity to India, to St. Patrick, who single-handedly converted Ireland to Christianity. From St. Augustine and St. Francis, fathers of monasticism, to Catherine Booth (Mother of The Salvation Army) and Sister Theresa, angels of mercy to the poor. Great heroes of faith all.

 

Yet each one was but a sinner saved by grace just like us. Each one had a turning point where they left the ways of the world and set their feet upon a path of righteousness. Each one, no doubt, struggled with feelings of unworthiness similar to what Paul expresses in this passage.

 

Jesus said the one who has been forgiven much loves much (Luke 7:47). Paul said it was God’s rich grace shown him despite his persecution of the church which stirred him to work all the harder for the Lord after his conversion.

 

Some of us may not be able to identify with Paul in that we do not have a sordid past which haunts us. Yet we can all identify with him in realizing the relief and freedom that comes when we are forgiven of our ever-persistent sins.

 

The Apostle John said that he which claims to sin not is a lier and has made the Lord a lier (I John 1:8-10). All have sinned, but all can be forgiven by God’s grace (Rom. 3:23-26). Then, renewed in spirit with pure hearts, we can tackle any task, small or great, through the grace that works in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment