Monday, January 5, 2015

The Last War


Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power. For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. The last enemy to be destroyed is death. For he “has put everything under his feet.” Now when it says that “everything” has been put under him, it is clear that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ. When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all. I Corinthians 15:24-28

 

There is a conflict raging, a war being fought every minute of every day. Our glorious King Jesus is attacking His enemies on every front in order to root out all who do not recognize His right to have power, dominion and authority over all things. This right to reign was given to Him by His Father, the Creator of all things. When the war is over and He has conquered the final enemy, death, Jesus will give His kingdom back to His Father in homage to Him. “For from him and through him and for him are all things” (Rom. 11:36).

 

When we face the enemies of Christ in our lives, whether it be sickness, loss, want or abuse, it helps to know that we have Jesus fighting on our side. Not only will he stretch out His hand to restore, but He also uses even the bad things so they work for good in our lives (Rom. 8:28).

 

In my own experience, one of the greatest benefits of life’s pitfalls is to remind me of my need for a Savior. When I am sick, it reminds me that I need a Great Physician to heal me. When I am betrayed or manipulated, it reminds me of my need for a Protector. It is a healthy realization that I am not invincible; I am not God.

 
Yet Jesus beckons me to join in His fight and bring restoration to this world in any way I can. Should I win a crown for anything I accomplish, I’ll lay it at my Lord’s feet, even as He will lay His crown down at His Father’s feet. And the righteousness and holy one shall reign supreme forevermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment