Sunday, July 5, 2009

A WORD ABOUT DOMINION

Original Post Date: Friday, June 20, 2008

Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground." Genesis 1:26-28

From the moment God created us, we were in control of the earth. We were created to rule. It had to be so. Because God rules, the people created in His likeness had to be given a realm to rule too. And what, specifically, is our domain as God describes it? Fish, birds and land animals.

As I sit here, my pet dove is pruning her feathers and my dog is begging for the crumbs from my breakfast. I am their master. They know it and I know it. It was ordained from the beginning. As their master, it is my responsibility to make sure they’re taken care of.

God wants mankind to do that for all the animals, not just our pets. Sometimes we do well, like when we set apart nature reserves or make a species endangered. Other times we don’t do so well, like when our urban sprawl encroaches animal habitats.

How well we rule will be a testimony to God of our faithfulness to the responsibility He gave us. May each of us do our best to care and influence those in power to care more about the world of our dominion.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this insight, Dixie. I guess that rules out dominion over other people, doesn't it? Oh, well. I knew that, but this seems to settle it. I'm not sure I'm doing very well with the mandate He did give. It's something to think about. NG

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, how i wish mankind could learn not to dominate each other! that is something i'll guess we have to wait until the kingdom comes in its fullness to experience!

    ReplyDelete