Thursday, March 1, 2012

By God's Power

And so it was with me, brothers and sisters. When I came to you, I did not come with eloquence or human wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power. I Corinthians 2:1-5

History tells us that the Apostle Paul was an educated (Acts 22:3) and charismatic individual. Years before he wrote these words he confidently approached the high priest for permissions to persecute the followers of Jesus (Acts 9:1-2). So how does such a person undergo an unbelievable transformation into someone who is ineloquent, single-minded and afraid? Simple – he met Jesus and realized that all his abilities were for naught without God’s Spirit.

If only those of us in the church today would experience this kind of humility! That we who find pride in our skills and, yes, God-given gifts and talents would realize that we are just a resounding gong and clanging cymbal unless we minister in God’s love and power (I Cor. 13:1).

No comments:

Post a Comment